Women spend years to find the perfect tone for their foundation. I will try to help you by providing a simple guide.
- You need to know your undertone – people like to check their veins on their wrists but I find this very confusing. My favourite test and an extremely simple one is the tan test. If you tend to tan in the sun and not burn, than you may be a warm undertone. If you don’t tan but just burn, then you have a cool undertone. Those who go both ways could be neutral.
- You also need to know your skin type – understanding your skin type is essential to finding your perfect foundation. Oily skin needs a mattifying product to balance the shine, while those with dry skin should look for one with hydrating properties.
- What sort of coverage are you looking for? Light, medium or heavy? This could also be a seasonal choice. Women like lighter coverage in summer and a heavier coverage in cooler months. If you have good skin go for light coverage with a tinted moisturizer. It is just a lighter version of your foundation. You can easily mix your winter foundation with your moisturizer to create a tinted moisturizer for summer months. If your skin tone is uneven with a few blemishes consider a medium–coverage product.
- Shall we worry about SPF in our foundation? – Absolutely! Most of the foundations these days come with SPF, but the amount is usually not enough. I always recommend that my clients use at least 40 SPF cream under their foundation.
- People often wear foundations that are too grey, too pink or too orange. Always check the colour in daylight. Never trust the light in the shop! To find out more about the perfect light for applying make-up please klick here.
- Never forget your neck and décolletage when you are applying foundation.
Girls, I want you to remember that the right colour should disappear on your face! If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, or visit me in my studio in Little Venice for one-to-one tuition on how to choose your perfect foundation.
To find out more about other make-up tips klick here.