As a make-up artist, hair stylist and beauty photographer I usually write about different subjects, though for my clients who know me more, this blog shouldn’t come as a surprise. I believe that to maintain our beauty we need to work not only with creams, serums and exfoliation but also on our body as a whole.
I have been doing yoga for many years on and off. In the last year I finally committed to it and now I feel that I am starting to understand it. Either I am an extremely slow learner, or one needs to give oneself a bit of time to discover properly this ancient philosophy of being.
Throughout the last year I have had an opportunity to learn more about yoga from extremely good teachers, not only in the UK but also in Sri Lanka, Europe and Canada. The purpose of this blog is to share with you a few new things I learned, which may entice you to do yoga or may enrich the knowledge you already have.
Breathing is something we all tend to take for granted. I am as guilty of this as anyone else. Deep inhalations and exhalations as part of our daily exercises, can improve our quality of life, physically and mentally. We can be more productive as runners, yogis or on our weekly visits to the gym, and generally more grounded as human beings. As simple as it sounds, proper breathing is extremely powerful. Now when I am introduced to a new exercise in the gym, I usually get the breathing right. I have only begun to touch the surface and I already see an amazing improvement to my life as a whole. One of my teacher at the Iyengar Centre in Maida Vale, Orfa who I recently mentioned in my interview for ‘Farbic Magazine’, always says “the mouth is for eating and the nose is for breathing”. She couldn’t be more right!
Last summer while in British Colombia I was introduced to the Kundalini yoga practice, which is both spiritual and physical. I must say, I had never heard of this style of yoga before. Kundalini yoga is all about releasing the energy, which is said to be trapped or coiled in the lower spine. I am not gong to swap Iyengar yoga for Kundalini, but this practice just reassures me how important breathing is for invigorating our posture and energising our body.
In Sri Lanka, I met a very interesting Ayurvedic doctor and yoga master. Because I love learning new things and pushing my boundaries, I could not stop myself from having a consultation with him. The only thing that I found off-putting initially, was a picture in his studio of him with the current prime minister of India, Narendra Modi. Just to clarify, I dislike the values he represents. After all, I decided not to mix yoga with politics, as many people do nowadays. The doctor, more than anything, emphasised the importance of breathing when we practice yoga. He suggested to do breathing exercises every day to strengthen my body. He said that it doesn’t matter which style of yoga you practice but make sure you pay attention to the way you breath. You will become more aware of the postures you practice and you will also benefit more from them. He also emphasised to make sure we work equally on both the right and the left sides of our body.
I definitely use my right side more because of my work. I specially notice that every time I use my computer I strain one side more. This is why yoga is so important for me to keep everything in balance. I am sure many of you who use a computer on a daily basis, know exactly what I mean. My advice to you is; keep everything in balance and breath deeply. It doesn’t matter where you are in the world or what issues you have with your body, I am certain that this simple advice will be helpful. Keep practicing breathing exercises every day and you will see a difference in no time.
If you have any questions or want to share with me any other good points as to why we all can benefit from yoga, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at email@example.com.
- Exercise – keep moving at least 5 days a week is one of the top beauty secrets. Exercises boost your immune system and keep your body in good shape so you can wear a bikini all year around without thinking twice.
- Relax – do yoga or pilates and try to meditate. Always listen to your body and relax your mind. They both need to stay in harmony to keep you well inside out. To find out more about yoga read my next blog.
- Stay hydrated – water is your best friend. Dehydration makes you feel fatigue and affects the elastisity of your skin.
- Sleep well – you need at least 7 hours per night. A lack of sleep increases anxiety and affects your performance in the long run.
- Think organic – not only about your food but also about beauty products you use every day on your skin. To know more about this read here. Nourishing yourself well is incredibly important for body balance. Eat healthy and keep good balance between carbs, fats and proteins.
6. Give yourself lots of TLC – treat yourself to a facial and a massage once a month. Remember you live only once! Facials won’t remove your wrinkles but they will make you feel good and will improve your skin quality. The truth is, if you feel great, you look amazing.
7. Love yourself the way you are – don’t try to be someone else. I always say to my clients, as long as you work with your own natural beauty, you are always a winner!
I love shopping for beauty products in London. I probably do window-shopping for make-up and beauty products on a weekly basis. It’s always great fun to find new exciting products and keeps yourself well informed. Nowadays the beauty industry is moving so fast that, as a beauty professional, you have to keep checking everything if you want to stay on top of your game.
Today, I have decided to share with you my favorite and in my opinion the best beauty shops in London
If you’re looking for expert advice on what will be good for your skin type before you splash out £200 on a moisturizer, then Space NK is your go-to shop. It seems like a pharmacy but is full of high-end make-up and skincare products. Its expert sales assistants will talk you through the pros and cons of one brand vs. another, without trying to push you either way. Some of their staff are very knowledgeable and you can learn from them as you shop. I have never felt disappointed while shopping there and I am quite a demanding client! They stock ‘Hourglass’ powders and ‘Make-up by Terry’, that I use a lot and many more great products that are hard to buy in other stores.
If you care as much about what’s in your products as how they make you look, then nowhere beats this hipster supermarket’s beauty section. Organic, paraben-free, sulphate-free, vegan – you name it, they’ve got it. The assistants know their stuff and they stock everything including make-up products. Organic primer and vegan mascara by ‘Inika’ are the ones to choose by all of you who want to go chemical-free.
This lux department store offers both a beautiful environment and an unrivalled selection of beauty products. The people who work there always take the time to advise you, while you can pick up very expensive serum they also have more affordable products. For those of you who find Harrods and Selfridges is a bit too much, Liberty can feel like an oasis. I always shop in Liberty for my favourite, make-up brushes by Trish McEvoy, although unfortunately they are not so cheap. I am absolutely addicted to them. They are the best!
House of Mistry
The House of Mistry was opened in the summer of 1975 as a small chemist, in South End Green, Hampstead. Today you can go there and choose from a wide range of products. If you are lucky, like me, you may get a personal tour from Dr. Mistry himself. I absolutely love this store. It is a bit ‘quirky’ but the products you find there are priceless. Look for high SPF sun creams which are super effective and free of chemicals.
I not only love their products but I also highly recommend their signature facials to all my clients. Make sure you ask for someone experienced and you won’t regret it.
The owner Margo Marrone, while studying pharmacy became aware of organic ingredients and what they meant. Her principles are very simple; the best organic ingredients, honest expert advice, quality service, incredibly effective products and a caring environment. What else do you need? Try their ‘Rose balm’ and you will be addicted forever!
I must say it is very convenient to have a branch of this store in your neighbourhood. The body-care department stocks the best natural beauty brands and a wide range of high-quality health supplements.
While you are there – choosing a ’Rose water’ by Pukka or shampoo by ‘John Masters’-you can get a super green juice with extra ginger, which is divine! All these just to look good and healthy this spring!
For all of you who don’t know me, I don’t receive any rewards or advantages from any of the stores or manufactures of products that I recomened.
To read more blogs about beauty products please klick here.
Smoky eyes are great for galas and other evening events. It is a great way of dressing up your eyes. It is important to go for black, brown, dark green, dark purple or grey shadows and liners instead of blue hues. Below, I share with you eight easy steps for creating gala smoky eyes:
- Apply a primer over your eyelids. Try NARS primer for a long lasting effect but remember to let it set for a few seconds before you apply eye shadow.
- Use a soft pencil liner to increase depth of your lashes – my favourite are by NARS. Use the same liner on the lower lashes and than smudge both lash line with cotton bud.
- Use cream eye shadow without shimmer – in black, brown or dark green – over your lid and into your crease. You can get very good quality ones by ByTerry. They are really creamy and last forever! You must blend the colour out and outward!
- Use a shimmer powder that is matching the colour you applied on your lid, and place it in the middle of your eyelid. Your eyes will immediately sparkle!
- Put a lighter eye shower in powder or cream over your brow bone.
- Finish your smoky eyes look with gel eyeliner for extra intensity. Tight line your top and bottom waterlines and also apply liner into and underneath the top lash line.
- Use eyelash curler – his part is very important! I love Shu Uemura curler. Never use it with mascara on, you can brake your lashes.
- Apply two coats of your favourite mascara but please remember to brush and separate your lashes at the end of the application with a clean mascara brush.
Now you should have achieved a smoky eyes look. I hope you like it?
Ladies, if you have any questions please drop me a line or click here for more make-up tips.
I am always very excited about every bridal trial because I love doing them. It is great to see brides getting a picture of how they will look on the wedding day; though women sometimes stress too much before the bridal trial.
Today I want to give you tips on how to get the most out of the bridal trial and make it as enjoyable and stress-free as possible!
The first and most important thing is to do your homework. Research make-up and hairstyles you like. Go through beauty and weddings magazines or browse the Internet. The more you find the better. It is easier to show an example than to describe. Always be clear which part of the make-up or hairstyle you like and which part you don’t.
Regarding make-up, I also advise bringing a picture of yourself with your everyday look or a picture of yourself from a friend’s wedding or birthday. This gives me an idea of how you would like to be seen. Of course you will want more than an everyday look on your wedding day, but this gives me a good starting point.
Wearing white is important for the trial because white reflects the light back on to the face. I always do bridal trials in my studio in Little Venice, so my clients end up wearing a white robe anyway. I have also done weddings where brides planned to wear red dresses, in which case I put a red scarf around them to make sure the make-up looks perfect. As a photographer, I know how important light is when it comes to make-up.
I always like to advise my clients to exfoliate their skin before the trial. If you want to know more about exfoliation please read my blog.
When I’m finished, I take a few shots in my photo studio so my clients know how they will look in the wedding pictures. This part is like ‘icing on the cake’ – brides love it! You may want to take some pictures yourself afterwards to look back at them later. You may notice something you want to change. Don’t worry, I won’t be offended. I want your look to be absolutely perfect. I always say that you must be 99% happy before you leave my studio – the 1% we can adjust on the day with your instructions.
Finally – relax! It is normal to feel a little stress as you plan your wedding. Try to breath deeply and maybe take up yoga, pilates or meditation; trust me this always helps. Most importantly, after the trial with me you don’t have to worry any more about your hair and make-up because I will take care of it!