Washing your face is not as obvious as it seems! If you’re washing it in the shower, stop. Unless you’re taking cold showers, which is better for the skin and hair, hot water is drying and damaging. No matter what, you should always wash with cool water. Heat strips the skin of its natural oils. It’s vital not just for dry skin, but also for acne-prone skin since hot water will inflame the skin tissue around any breakouts, making them worse. Read the following simple steps to wash correctly:
- Wet your skin with cold or lukewarm water.
- Put a cleanser in your palm and apply it to your face with your fingertips. Give yourself a relaxing massage this should take a minute or two.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Spray your skin with gentle toner. My favourite is Pukka Organic Rosewater. Let it sit on your face for a couple of minutes.
- Take a serum, ideally with vitamin C such as Vitamin C Serum OZ Naturals and apply to your entire face. Wait a minute or two.
- Now is the time to apply your eye cream. Remember to use a very small amount. Eye cream comes in small tubes for a good reason!
- Take your moisturiser and apply all over your face. Wait a minute or two.
- Finally, use sunscreen and make-up as needed.
Towels are a breeding ground for bacteria. If you are prone to breakouts or have sensitive skin, using a towel to dry your face can spread the bacteria and make things worse. I like to air dry and apply my serums onto slightly damp skin.
Girls, the most important thing to remember is to make sure your face is clean, toned and moisturised before you get into bed or before you put on your make-up! Take your time while washing your face, and give yourself a bit of TLC at the same time, it’s worth it!
To find out more about beauty tips klick here.