As a make-up artist I know how important it is to exfoliate your skin. I always ask my clients to do so before they see me for a makeover. Regular skin cleansing is definitely essential and beneficial, though exfoliating your skin at least twice a week with a scrub can improve and rejuvenate your skin. There are two ways of exfoliating; physical – using scrubs – and – chemical – using alpha and beta-hydroxy acids. Scrubs remove what is on the surface of your skin, chemical exfoliants go deeper.
How do I know if I need to exfoliate?
A simple test you can do at home to see if you have surface dry skin cells on your skin is to take a piece of clear tape and apply it to the forehead. Rub it gently and remove. Look at the tape, and if there are little pieces of flaky skin, then you need to exfoliate!
Here are six reasons to exfoliate:
- Much better absorption – for your moisturizer, sunscreen and, make-up. Brides, you must exfoliate before your big day! My favourite is; http://www.evelom.com/Morning-Time-Cleanser-125ml/MEV0028_9500,en_GB,pd.html?start=3&q=exfoliator
- Younger skin – exfoliating helps maintain shine on your skin as you age.
- Minimise large pores – exfoliation removes the dirt stuck deep inside your pores.
- Improve your skin texture – keep your skin much softer.
5. Help with acne – regular exfoliation reduces possibility of clogged pores.
- Improve dry skin – especially during winter months we are more likely to have dehydrated skin.
How do I know if I am getting too much exfoliation?
If you use a facial scrub and your skin turns bright red and feels irritated afterwards, it probably means that the grains used in the scrub are too large. I suggest avoiding natural scrubs, such as those with apricot pits. If you are using chemical exfoliants and your skin starts to dry out, you may be removing too much of the skin’s protective barrier. Cut back and the skin’s barrier should naturally repair itself.
Girls, remember to exfoliate to keep your skin soft and supple all year round!
To find out more beauty tips klick here.